Saturday, January 2, 2016

Today's work and Goals for 2016

A new year is always a good opportunity to look back and remember all that was done the previous year and make plans for the next.

I finished out the year getting a double set of float frames cut out and cleaning up the shop for the next phase of construction. I also got the opportunity to make a phone call and talk with Greg Carter regarding some hints, tips and tricks he learned building his F-36. He's a super nice guy and had a lot to share.

Last year also saw the end of my Carhartt work pants.
I initially bought two pair which held up for a whole year of construction which included the tree removal, dirt work, trenching, cement pouring, building construction, wiring, HVAC and initial sections of the boat build.

I have a couple of new pairs from Duluth Trading Company coming in next week sometime.
Very fashionable, I know it (sexy legs and all)...


Anyway, as for New Years Goals - we all have our own, but for me (besides losing weight and getting the bills paid down) I'm looking to get ONE float completed. At this point, I'm not sure if that's "Crazy Talk" or completely within reach... I'm sure I'll make a bunch of mistakes that'll eat into construction time, but those mistakes will make the Port float and main hull go faster.
I'd also like to start on the beams - not so much building them, but rather making the beam frames and some parts that go into the beams. In other words, some "prep-work" that'll make the construction go faster when I feel comfortable enough with composites to proceed with that job.

We'll see how the year goes on reaching these goals.

Today, I spent a lot of time getting the float frames in place and secured.
I also took care of getting frames 5 & 11 lined up vertical and secured as per the instructions.

Setting up the Starboard Outside Float half

Starboard Outside

Starboard Outside frames set up

Starboard Outside frames set up

I added some shims to the inside edge to make a straight section for securing a "rub rail" stringer on the outside edge of the frames.

Starboard Inside half with raised flat decking




45-degree stabilizer legs secured to frame but still loose at the bottom to allow for movement to match laser projection

Moving things around to match the laser line.

Laser shining across both strongbacks along the vertical edge of float frame eleven

Frame Secured

Ready for stringers

All set for stringers


No comments:

Post a Comment