Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Modifications to the framing and a quick test

After looking over the frames and battens I just wasn't happy with the way the raised flat section of the floats were looking. I figured it might come out flatter if I replaced the battens in that area with some MDF. If it helps at all, it'll reduce the fairing work later on, but that's yet to be seen.

I also added some 3" (75mm) extensions to the edge to provide a working flange for the vacuum infusion.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to get a shipment of epoxy, but I'm still waiting on a ship date for the fabrics. This weekend I'll be picking up some additional lumber so I can rip some more battens for the flange extensions. And if all goes well, I might be able to start bending some foam.

I'm also doing a quick test to determine how well the epoxy will stick to the fiberglass tubes I purchased for the trampolines and at the same time I'll see if the release wax I bought will work as expected.

Extensions to support flange

Battens replaced with MDF to provide a flatter base.

Same thing on the other side

The front half of this block was waxed a few times to check the release properties of the wax I purchased while the rest of the fabric was wrapped around a piece of fiberglass tubing  to see how will it bonds.




No comments:

Post a Comment