Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Hybrid Chainplates prepped for wrap

A while back I noticed that the F-32 was being built without the use of a Stainless Steel thimble in the carbon chain plates. And since I really want to get rid of metal parts at any opportunity, I asked Ian about using that technique on the F-39. He authorized the change and sent me the F-32 design page so I could merge the changes into my build. The result is a hybrid approach using design aspects from both layups.

The F-39 plans call for a long section of 5lb. foam topped with a short piece of Hi-Density foam.
The Stainless steel thimble is then glued to the Hi-Density foam and then the fiberglass and Carbon wraps are laid up.

Meanwhile, the F-32 plans call for a shorter length of 5lb. foam topped with a 2" (50mm) cap of Medium Density thickened epoxy. The G-10 tubing is glued in place during this step and then the part is ready for the fiberglass and Carbon layup.

I ended up merging both designs and ended up with a long section of 5lb. foam topped with a short section of Hi-Density Foam and then topped again with thickened epoxy and some G10 tubing.

Since I don't have a piece of metal here now, I am quite sure this will result in almost two knots of additional boat speed.

To get the proper thickness I had to start with ripping the pieces down a bit on the table saw. Once that was done and sanded smooth, I could proceed with gluing it all together.

Left to cure for a while before cleaning up and moving on to the thickened epoxy step next.

Setting up for the thickened epoxy with some sacrificial foam pieces to serve as spacers

After initial cure it was time for cleanup


Rough cleanup - foam dams removed


All cured, sanded and ready for the next step of actually wrapping with fiberglass and carbon.
I did lay in a layer of tape on the INSIDE of the G10 tubing to prevent any issues with epoxy fouling during the wrap.


Final checks before wrap


Almost six hours of fabric preparation and I'm finally ready for the wrap.





At this point, I'm all ready to go but I want someone to help me with the process.
It'll just make things go faster and easier.
Unfortunately, all the kids were busy this past weekend so I'm having to wait a bit for one of them to get some free time to help out.

In the meantime, I've been busy playing around with my new truck!
;-)
It's a 2014 Toyota Tacoma with 54K miles
4.0L six cylinder with a six speed manual transmission.

I haven't had a truck for almost fifteen years now.
But since my kids are getting old enough to drive themselves around I could finally justify trading in the Kia Sorento (great car by the way) for something I've been holding out for.

First thing on the list is to get those windows tinted.

And then get a Bull Bar installed.
I still need to wire in the light bar, but that'll have to wait for a few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment