Friday, September 9, 2016

Bow section glue flange and rear cut out

Gluing on a flat piece of glass onto the bow to serve as a glue flange later on.

A good time to work on those filleting skills that will come in handy later on.

Secured in place while the epoxy cures.
To be trimmed later on

Marked for cut-out


Cut and sanded smooth

The fillet is really glossy due to Peel-Ply still being in place.
I plan to leave all the Peel-Ply in place as long as possible to protect the underlying fabrics from contamination.

A closeup of the fillet


And finally I get to move to the rear of the float to mark and cut the final shape.
If I haven't said it already, I LOVE this self-leveling laser and find myself using it way more than I ever expected.
It works great for marking straight lines on curved surfaces as shown.


Marked out and ready for cutting

Cut but still attached with screws from the backside


First view of final shape.
I'll work on making a glue flange on this (just like the bow section) later on.

Another shot

And finally, a good look at the laminate with the Peel-Ply removed from the cut out section.
It looks really good despite the infusion fiasco.
I did leave a piece of Peel-Ply on the upper half to show my Dad whenever he visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment