Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Wrapped and ready for cleanup

Over this past weekend I was able to wrap the Lower Folding Strut Beam Anchors and also the float chain plates. Both of which contain an extra wrap of Carbon Fiber to calm my nerves. It's not that I don't trust Ian's design or the fabric or even the epoxy itself. I really just don't trust myself and if an extra wrap in these super critical areas will buy me some peace of mind then I'll take the weight penalty.

Anyway, my parents are coming to visit for a weekend so I will be cleaning up the shop and taking care of a lot of odd jobs here and there. Then the next weekend we'll be busy as well and the third weekend I am planning to finally cut down those two big trees next to my house. so it may be a few weeks before I can be productive again. But that's OK, winter is coming and that usually means a lot more time in the shop since there's not a whole lot to do outside.

On the bright side, I did receive the epoxy for the next float half infusion so once I get the wrapped parts all cleaned up and prepped for install I can turn my attention to leak location.
That's the not-so-fun part.

It would have been nice to get some pictures during the wrap process, but that would require another person since I'm usually full of epoxy and trying to keep things moving along.

One of the new/replacement Lower Folding Strut Beam anchor blanks.
This blank will be cut up into eight pieces in preparation for the next step.

Still covered in Peel Ply

The first layer of fiberglass required on the Chain plates


Folded in place and stapled to secure the fabric before lamination

All wrapped and cured enough for handling.

Still VERY rough.
Looking forward to cleaning this up!


Once this is all cleaned up, I'll still need to put on another layer of fiberglass over the top

Peel Ply is still attached to the core along the sides and as you can tell I have a lot of sanding ahead of myself on these parts.



No comments:

Post a Comment