Sunday, December 13, 2015

Spreader Cleats Installed

Believe it or not, it took me half a day to install these spreader cleats.
The first thing I did was to recheck the parallel measurements and found the strong backs to be out of parallel by about 1/2" (12mm).

After compensating for the alignment error,  I marked out the exact location of all the spreader cleats along the outer edge of both strong backs before stringing a line across those lines to mark the inner sides. These marks will ensure the hull frames line up exactly across both strong backs.

Once I got that all marked up, I cut the cross pieces to the correct length and pre-drilled the ends to avoid splitting the wood when screwing down the the rails and finally I ran each piece through the table saw to square up the face before laying out the pieces to be glued and screwed.

The next job is to mark the center of these strong backs and cut a groove along the top of the frame supports to install the center line string, but I'll do that later on. First, I'll be using these nice level surfaces to build some work tables and cut out the float frames.

I also have a pile of lumber that needs to be ripped down to make stringers - which reminds me, I need to make something to store said pile of stringers...

Strong backs marked along the outer side

I picked up this old Powermatic Drill Press years ago at a yard sale for less than $100 (maybe $75?). I've had it in storage for years waiting for this project to get started. It's quite a piece of machinery, they just don't make them like this anymore. Solid Cast iron and steel from top to bottom. It's quiet, runs true and smooth. A real pleasure to use.

Pre-Drilling the spreader cleats using a jig I knocked together real quick.
I pre-drilled to prevent splitting the wood when screwed down later on.

All the spreader cleats took a trip through the table saw to square up the face. I just took a little bit off the edge.

Screwed and Glued - ready for frames to be installed


You can run a string across the entire surface of both strong backs and see that everything is nearly perfectly lined up.
(Like within 1/16" or 2mm)



No comments:

Post a Comment