Saturday, February 4, 2017

Recessed Deck Plate - Foam Test

I was happy enough with the previous test to move ahead with the second test on scrap materials.
Previously, I had applied a layer of glass to one side of a foam panel and let it cure.

The first step is to mark and use the router to remove the foam core from the four deck plate pinch points then back-fill with reinforced and thickened epoxy. Once that cured I used the router again to cut the recessed area before rounding over the edges and applying a layer of carbon scrap pieces via vacuum bagging to see if the fabric will take that radius and fit tightly along the edge.

Details below:
Pinch Points routed out down the the lower layer of glass without penetrating.

Backside of panel showing routed out areas

Pinch Points back-filled with thickened epoxy and left to cure overnight

Recessed gasket area routed out to 7mm depth

Vacuum Bagged surface over some Carbon Fiber scraps.
Note: I free-handed an additional cut on the inner side of the recessed area to ensure that the fabric had a wide surface to lay flat against. This area will be removed later on.

Curing under vacuum

The shop is cold, so I put my heating blanket over it to make the resin kick in 1/3 the time.

Checking out the cured panel.
The main concern is checking out how the fabric lays up against the outer edge of the recessed area.
Next time, I will cut out the inner section of fabric to allow for easier fabric movement along the edges.
You'll also notice an intentional fabric overlap along the center of the panel.
I wanted to know how this would impact the final part, however I don't plan to have fabric overlaps over these areas.

This looks really good to me.
Once the inner section is removed, the recessed gasket area will receive another layer of fabric that will tie the top and bottom layers of fabric together and seal the raw foam edge.

One more picture

No comments:

Post a Comment