Monday, February 20, 2017

Almost ready for flip and slide

This past weekend I got the center bulkhead glued into place, fillets smoothed down along all three bulkheads and a layer of tape laid in place. I'll let this cure as is for a few days before starting to remove all the screws holding the foam into place. Then we can work on lifting it from the cradle, flipping it over and sliding it over to the other side of the shop in position over the inner half.

It's taken a while and I've learned a LOT!

Once the two halves are glued together and wrapped with glass it'll be time to start the fairing/painting learning curve. This is the part of the build that folks complain about the most so I'm not super excited about it...

Depending on finances, I'm hoping to finish the starboard float by end of year.
(I have my doubts though)

Fillet in place - waiting for a partial cure before laying over with a 6" (300mm) wide piece of 18oz DBX tape.

Center bulkhead in place at the correct angle.
I chose not to cut this one in half due to the access hole.
I have a feeling that it might make things a little bit more difficult when gluing the halves together.
But on the other hand, I won't have to worry about bulkhead integrity, extra tape thickness in this area and lining up the edges accurately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment