Monday, August 8, 2016

This past weekend

I had to spend some time away from the shop this weekend to take care care of some rental property needs, so I didn't get a whole lot done.

However, I did get a few things taken care of:

  1. Final "top-coat" of lightweight fill followed by a light sanding on the second float half.
  2. Second coat of neat epoxy along the upper edge of the float to provide a sealed surface for the tacky tape. A light sanding is still required followed by one last application and sanding.
  3. I have been moving the heating blanket around and now have about half of the first float post-cured at 82C.
When the heating blanket had moved down a third of the float, I took the opportunity to start trimming the foam excess to get the float down to it's final size.

And finally, I infused a flat sheet consisting of three layers of 12oz DBX. 
This will be cut down to size and glued onto the bow section to serve as a gluing surface later on when the bow foam pieces get added.

 - An interesting story about that infusion - details under the picture itself

Setting up the laser to get a good cut line.
This self-leveling laser has been a great investment!
I use it quite a bit more than expected.

Good shutter timing! 

Line location to match the frames on both float halves


Marked out with Green Tape to serve as the cut line.

And trimmed to size.
This is where the three layer - 12oz panel will be glued into place

A shot of the float right before that upper rail and temporary supports is removed so I can cut the foam down to the correct size.


And, done - for now


I put a bit of tape along the cut edges to keep them clean and free of oil.
(People ((mostly me)) love to put their forearms and elbows on this area as they look at the float)
The three layers of 12oz DBX being infused.
An interesting story about this one...
Henny and I were discussing the infusion failure on the first float half.
We covered a lot of ground and some suggestions were made for the next attempt.
During that discussion I mentioned the fact that my thicker laminates always seem to come up a bit dry.
He said he doesn't have that issue.
I have a feeling that my resin flow is too fast, so I thought I'd try going down to a smaller inlet tube size to reduce the flow rate.
My first infusions were all done with 1/2" line (12mm), I later moved to 3/8" (9.5mm) and now I've gone down to 1/4" line (6.3mm).
It turns out that using this smaller sized line I can infuse just over 3' (almost 1m) in 60 minutes which works out perfectly for my 80min resin.
So in setting up this infusion I was so pre-occupied with that tubing size that I completely forgot to add the green flow media to the stack.
Once I realized my error, I had to release the vacuum, make an opening in the vacuum film to insert a piece of media and then seal it up again (you can see the repair in the middle of the stack)

Sometimes I'm so stupid!

Anyway, once I had it sealed up again, I opened the valve and the rest of the infusion went great and would have been better if the green flow was covering the entire stack.
You can see the HUGE jump after the six minute mark and then it starts to slow down.

Anyway, the infusion itself came out really nice despite my best attempt at screwing it up.

Rear of float cut-off pattern.
I have two sets of lines drawn.
The inner set is the actual PLAN size, but my floats are cut 1/4" (6mm) over-sized and additionally I'm using a slightly thicker foam, so I'll make the actual cut out on the plywood later on when I can accurately position it after trimming down the foam.

This float half is just about ready for fabric.
I just need one more layer of neat epoxy along the upper edge to provide a good seal for the tacky tape.




No comments:

Post a Comment