Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Adding fabric to the inboard half of the Starboard float

It's a bit hard for me to admit that this series of pictures represents a day and a half of labor.
It looks so simple, just lay out the fabric and make a few cuts.

If that were only the case!
:)

First of all, before I started anything else I needed to "deal" with these two areas of the float raised section.
The angles are too great if working with a single large piece of fabric, so the solution was to get these smaller pieces worked into place and then simply make a clean cut in the inner hull fabric to capture these overhangs.

I left plenty of overlap to create a really strong bond here

Rolled the fabric rack over to allow for fabric application

Since this roll is near the bottom of the rack, I needed some way to pick it UP before sliding over the float.
In this case, I found the Full-Sized plans storage tube made for a great roller.

All clean and ready for glass

First layer of glass laid down, smoothed over, stapled in place (being VERY careful to avoid screws near the edges) and then trimmed back from the edge about 3" (75mm). I did it this way so the overlapping piece of glass will put additional thickness near the waterline. (same as the other half)

If you look closely, you can see the slit in the fabric allowing for a good capture of the underlying piece of glass while avoiding thread pattern distortion as much as possible.

Same for this side

Nice and smooth! Looking good so far.

The other half of the glass is now installed including the reinforcing materials required at the beam locations

Stringers laid down in approximate location


Using cardboard bulkhead patterns to locate the aft end of the stringer


Same for the rear bulkhead and stringer

Switching gears to show the post-curing map of the other float.
I should be done this weekend

First layer of UNI over the top of the stringers


Two layers of UNI followed by two layers of 18oz BD to cover the strringers

Peel-Ply in place.
You'll notice that I already have the tacky tape in location.
This helps to keep me on track when trimming the consumables

Perforated film going down.
Until this point, I can't do much else in the shop for fear of kicking up dust.
Once I get the Vacuum Bag in position I can do a cleanup (which always makes me feel better)

No comments:

Post a Comment