Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Starboard Float Inner half foam installed

Fourth of July weekend!

We finally got the fence all stained and after one more walk-through with a touch up brush I'll be able to mark that project off the list. The pool is now installed and filled, but is a bit too cool to enjoy - plus the water color is a bit yellow due to high iron content in our water supply. Another learning curve for me as I figure out what chemicals are needed to clear it up.

We did get to see three fireworks shows around the area, so that was a lot of fun!

And I finally got the rest of the foam laid down on the inner half of the starboard float.
I really like working with the foam, it's labor intensive, but you can see so much progress. It feels as if you are actually accomplishing something. After securing it all in place from the backside, I run an air-file across the surface with some 32-grit which does a quick job of smoothing out the edges and getting things in line. Afterwards, I follow up with some 80-grit to clean it up before cutting in the bevels between the sheets for the first pass of Hi-Density fill. This first layer is just to glue the planks together and provide a solid base for the Lo-Density top coat. When that is cured, it all gets sanded over with 80-grit in preparation for the fabric layup.

Unfortunately, it appears that so far I've been out-working my project budget. I need another shipment of epoxy to continue so while I wait around for those funds to be available, I guess I'll start working on putting the beam molds together.

Final plank temporarily held in position to mark the lower sheets for trimming

Marked for cutting

The foam is very easy to work with
===========
Note to self:
Next time, don't put so many batten butt joints in one place as it makes it difficult to secure from the backside


All ready for securing on the backside and trimming the excess

All done except for the trimming of that step piece

Step piece trimmed (far side)

I have built in an extra 3" (75mm) on the edges to accommodate the Resin Infusion lines.
The upper edge of the Carbon Fiber layer is the actual cut line of the float


Edges milled to receive the first layer of Hi-Density fill.

Hi-Density (4% Glass - 9% Cabosil) mixture is laid up between the planks and tooled out before leaving to cure.
In this picture you can see the color differences between the two boxes of foam I received.
The lighter colored piece was from the first shipment, while the darker colored ones are from the second shipment.
(Both shipments were CoreCell M-80)

Once the Hi-Density is cured, I'll make a light pass with the air file before applying the Lo-Density top coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment