Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Starboard Float Foam Edge Prep & First Fill

I spent this weekend routing out the gap between the foam sheets and then back-filling with a reinforced epoxy mixture. I used 9% Cabosil and 4% milled glass to thicken and reinforce the epoxy. The resulting putty was a "spindle grease" consistency which was easy to work with. I applied a bead of this epoxy caulking with a disposable cake decorating bag and tooled it down to a concave joint.

The joints should be airtight at this point, but I will to follow up with a lightweight (microballoon) top coat next weekend.


Two joints filled - One joint to do

Filled screw holes in addition to the joints


Ready for the topping application



I also need to start working on the inboard wing net attachment tubes.
I'm still waiting on my fabrics to arrive, but I do have some samples that I can put under vacuum to dry out if I end up having enough material to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment