Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Bulkhead weight loss

For whatever reason, I decided to log the weight loss of the starboard float forward bulkhead from unpacking to final trim. No real idea why - maybe just because I "could".

:)

Results below...

The final bulkhead to be built for this float is the center one which incorporates additional fabric layers for the chainplate and also a water tight access panel. Since I'd like to avoid fitting that access panel later on within the confines of the float I am going to attempt to get it done ahead of time before installing the bulkhead. To that end, I just got off the phone with Armstrong Nautical to place an order for a couple 10"x20" (254mm x 508mm) rectangle deck plates. I probably should have ordered some 8" (203mm) round ones as well for the tops of the floats, but those can wait for a while.

Once they arrive, I will work on figuring out the best way to get them installed.

At the moment, I'm thinking about a 1/2" (12mm) ring of Hi-Density foam installed around the perimeter of the opening where the gasket will seat and some Hi-Density epoxy at the four pinch points. I'm also thinking about recessing the foam so the deck plate sits flush with the surface of the bulkhead. That isn't really necessary, but I think it will be a good idea to work out the flush mount details before moving on to the more visible elements of the build (deck hardware, hatches & etc.)


I can't believe how useful the laser level is for this project.
The first thing I did was clean up the bulkhead location and mark the AFT edge with some tape straight edges.


Removing the Starboard Float forward bulkhead from the vacuum film.
This was a vacuum bagged piece, but the results are really quite nice.

Initial weigh in
This is straight out of the bag.
Peel ply removed but excess flange material still in place.


Excess flanges cut off (Rough cut)


Final trim completed


Marked and cut into halves with a small center strip removed as excess material

Beam position cut-out

Final weigh-in before gluing into float

A total loss of 701grams!
(That's 1.54lbs for some of us)

And glued in place with a narrow bead of thickened epoxy putty
(Total time invested was almost five hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment